Wednesday, November 19, 2008

HOMELESS SHELTER

I called a homeless shelter this morning and asked them if they were serving meals Thanksgiving Day. In the past, they have. The lady said they were. I asked if they needed any help this year--money, donations, etc. The lady assured me they needed help. She said with the economy the way it is that they are full up with families and children every night and that she's sure they will have a full house for Thanksgiving. I also happen to know from watching the news that any number of young war veterans (who live on the street) get their supper there every night. She asked what I would like to do.

I told her my entire family lives out of state except my partner and he works all day every Thanksgiving so I was free for the day. She asked if I knew how to cook a turkey. Is there anybody in the world who does not know how to cook a turkey? Apparently there are, but the problem the homeless shelter faces is a huge guest list and not enough stoves to go around. They have food and people who donate money. They don't have the equipment to cook huge meals on site. Long story short, I know how to cook. And boy, do I have the stove to cook it on. I think it was just last spring that I invested in that super duper amazing stove we have sitting in the kitchen. I'm cooking a Thanksgiving dinner and hauling it to the homeless shelter. They can put the stuff on the table with the rest of the donated dinners and serve it.

It will give me something productive to do on Thanksgiving Day. I have always loved cooking traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I'm a relatively good cook. And, there are probably some hungry folks who will appreciate the food. I'll be home in time to whip something up for Eric and me that evening. He doesn't like traditional Thanksgiving food and he'll be delighted not to be faced with turkey and dressing with all the fixings. Seems a far better use for the day than just dreading it because Eric's working, my sister and her family are in Florida, and my children and grandchildren are in Texas.

I don't get to have the holiday that I loved and remember from childhood. So, I'll create a new kind of holiday------not the same, but it may be better in the long run.

No comments: