Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I VOTED

This morning, I drove to my polling place (the middle school behind our house) and eventually found a parking place. It was crowed. I parked my car and had to sit in the car a few moments to collect myself. I was crying and I knew I could not walk into the school filled with long lines of prospective voters crying. I've voted in every election I was eligible to vote in since I got the right to vote. Nothing new there. I've never been moved to tears at the polling place. Every vote has counted, but no vote has ever mattered like this vote matters.

THIS VOTE MATTERS!!!

It is long past time for this country to beginning healing. It is long past time for diplomacy to once again be front and center in international relations. It is long overdue for this country to take its rightful place again with the other great countries who lead this world. It's time for healing, strength, intellect, character, guidance, compassion, ethics and morality.

As I sat in my car this morning trying to gain control of my emotions, I realized that there are people who live in history and for history. I knew also that there were other people who lived on the seconds right before history is made--before it's ever spoken, written, or taught. I realized I'm one of those people who lives on the seconds right before history is made--always have been.

Today, as the votes are being cast, are the seconds before history is made. Tomorrow it will be over.

Today is the moment! We lived it.

I lived it alone with my tears, but I lived it!

No comments: