Monday, December 24, 2007

Male rape victim in Saudi Arabia

Probably all of us are aware of the gang rape of the young Saudi woman. Finally, some relief was brought to her legal situation after much international pressure. Unfortunately, I learned on the news that the young man who was in her company was also gang raped by the same seven men. Apparently, he received the same punishment as the young female victim. I believe it was 200 lashes and 6 months in prison. While, I applaud the decision to overturn the young woman's punishment, I don't understand why his situation has been ignored by the international community and the media. No country should punish victims. I'm wondering why there has not been the international outcry about this young man's legal situation. I'm very saddened by this situation.

No comments: