Wednesday, August 20, 2008

FELLING OF TREES

We have four volunteer trees of some sort that volunteered right on the fence line for the new fence. They had to come out before the fence can go in. Eric and I spent many hours last night removing part of two trees. Eric did most of the work. There are two skinny trees left that I'm going to try to remove today. Also, I'm attempting to chop all the limbs from the larger trees that Eric took down last night into manageable pieces for the "tree truck" to remove. The "tree truck" comes around once a week and picks up lawn debris that residents have placed by the street.

Even cutting the pieces into small manageable pieces is hot hard work. Eric did a lot of hot hard work last night getting most of the bigger trees down.

I hated taking the trees down. Seems like they could have volunteered somewhere other than the fence line. I'm planning to plant new trees once the fence is in---not in the fence line. I already miss the old trees. They provided nice shade and cool spots. I hated killing them.

The fence man stopped by this morning to get the permit and his downpayment. He's going to start putting the fence up on the 28th and 29th. Given that Dakota flew over the 5 foot tall chain link fence last night in pursuit of a rabbit (which she did not catch thankfully), I hope a six foot privacy fence that inhibits her sight of rabbits controls her at least a little. She's never done it in the past, but now I'm afraid to let her in the back yard. A flying dog is a bit more than I'd planned on in my lifetime.

I purchased six Holly plants to plant along the very back fence. Hopefully, they'll help deaden sound from the middle school---at least a little. The "tiller man" is coming today at 3 pm to do some really heavy tilling in this Missouri clay. Then, I'll use our smaller tiller after he completes the heavy tilling. Our tiller really pulverizes chunks of heavy clay and permits amending the soil with manure and such.

I don't think Eric "sees" the backyard in his mind the way I do. He doesn't enjoy being outside in the yard, but I do. He enjoyed the very hot hard work of taking the trees down about as much as I'm enjoying chopping the debris into small pieces for the "tree truck". Hot, sweaty hard work. Oh well, has to be done. No way around it. Break over--back to the mess.

No comments: