Wednesday, August 27, 2008

FINALLY DONE

The privacy fence will be completed today. Finally!!!! I've been dealing with this fence for well over a month--getting bids, getting the permit, etc. Then, the night the posts went in and the workmen had left so the concrete could set up for a full 24 hours--I started getting faxes from one of the neighbors. She thought we were on her land.

Now, I had gone out of my way to have the city approve the permit for the posts to be set a full 6 inches inside our property line because I knew in my heart of hearts that we'd have trouble with these neighbors. The faxes flew back and forth--right when I was desperately trying to finish a very difficult court report for the Attorney General. Her complaints and the continuing faxes were coming at the very worst time. I was desperately trying to finish a terribly difficult court report and needed to work. Nevertheless, I stopped what I was doing and contacted the fence man. The neighbor faxed her "plot plan". I faxed ours. The fence man assured me that he measured multiple times and followed the city permit and the plot plan exactly. He swore we were a full six inches inside our property line. In this neighborhood, you have to deal with the nosy, bossy, inquisitive neighbors no matter what else is going on in your life or how much work you may have weighing on you in the constant and continuing effort to make a living.

Finally, I got an email from the lady that her family had gone out and measured and that indeed I was correct and she agreed to allow us to have the fence finished. Poor Eric was out taking pictures of the contested area and a tape measure. It was truly absurd and not as if the man had not worked all day. Then, he had to come home and deal with the neighbors complaints about something I wanted done on his land. I had been very very careful because I know what the neighbors in this subdivision are like. The problem was that the neighbors had built (some years ago) a very big and very expensive sauna/spa building much too close to the property line and then planted really big bushes around it. They were concerned about the new fence interfering with their ability to mow easily. The truth is that they need to trim those overgrown bushes even though they are incredibly beautiful bushes.

The poor fence man agreed to re-measure everything today to be absolutely sure that he had not made an error. He told me that these kind of conflicts erupt once out of every four fences he puts up--especially in an urban error. Land is much more expensive in urban areas and people always think they own a few inches of the neighbors land.

Meanwhile, I've arranged for a new gentleman to do some tilling so that I can put in flower beds. I've already got a few of the plants in, but I had to be careful to only put the ones in that would not be in the way of the fence installers. This new gentleman is also going to take care of the lawn care starting in the spring. Finally, I'll be able to terminate our relationship with the old lawn care company--they do a terrible job. I've been dissatisfied with their work for years!

Gradually, over time, and with a lot of work--I'll be able to have the back yard at least look a bit more like a "garden"--a sturdy, tough garden with indigenous plants--but a somewhat more pleasant place to use in privacy. This is something I've wanted for many years. The work is backbreaking in the Missouri clay, but I've been trying to pace myself and work in the earliest of morning hours and the latest of evening hours when it is a bit cooler.

No comments: