Sunday, August 16, 2009

BREAKFAST

My endocrinologist always sends written lab results after I see him. They came yesterday and they were not good. My A1C was significantly elevated meaning that my sugar is out of control which will destroy my kidneys, heart, cardiovascular system, and lead to somebody amputating my feet.

So, something must be done about this. He added insulin (before bed) to my Byetta and Glipizide routine. I take the insulin before bed because I'm one of the many diabetics who will have an acceptable or low blood sugar before bed and then it will soar to a high spike during the night (without any food going into your body). There are lots of diabetics who do that and have to take an extra dose of medicine before bed. It defies logic to me. It seems like if no food goes in that our bodies would burn the sugar it has not create more. But, apparently, research has shown that there are lots and lots of diabetics who do that early morning sugar spike. Byetta and Glipizide are good medicines, but they are not doing the trick alone.

So, I'm taking my medicine and have been keeping a food diary so that he & I will know every single bite that goes into my mouth. One of the major problems with diabetes is you must exercise severe portion control so I am always hungry. A growling stomach is healthy for me. The second problem is that if it tastes good I am not permitted to have it.

For example, I believe that food is supposed to eat vegetables--cows, chickens, pigs, etc are supposed to eat vegetables--NOT ME, NOT ME EVER. If I must eat vegetables, I'd just as soon not eat.

Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal. I dearly love a Hardees Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit. Clearly, I cannot have a Hardees Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit--not ever. They are something like 500 calories or more for just one not to mention the triglycerides and cholesterol. They are forbidden totally.

So, this morning I had my version fixed at home. It wasn't that bad. It satisfied my hunger. Start with a 100 calorie Arnold's Sandwich Thin. These are round, sort of look like a bun, but are very thin. I use the whole wheat ones. They remind me quite a lot of thick cardboard.

Then, put 1/2 cup of egg beaters (60 calories) and 1 slice of Kraft fat free chedder cheese (25 calories) into a Nordicware "egg mcmuffin" cooker and put in the microwave for 1 minute. This was the first time I tried the Nordicware "egg mcmuffin" cooker. I think it needs a few seconds more than 60 seconds. Egg beaters were not completely set. Toast the Sandwich Thin. When the egg beaters and cheese mixture has cooked the 1 minute or more, put it between the two slices of sandwich thins. Top with 2 slices of tomato. It's not terrible. It does fill you up. It's 185 calories (plus the two tomato slices, substantial protein, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, and miniscule carbs. It's a good breakfast alternative. And, it doesn't taste that bad. I will admit that the Arnold Sandwich Thins remind me a lot of cardboard, but I am saving several hundred calories and cutting out scads of fat and carbs. And, I'm full. The bottom line is that I have got to get my blood sugar under control or I die. I have 4 dogs and 1 cat depending on me. I can't just allow myself to die.

No comments: