Wednesday, August 12, 2009

ROUTINE ENDOCRINOLOGY APPOINTMENT

Every four months, I have a regularly scheduled appointment with my endocrinologist who has been attempting to treat my diabetes. I have other doctors also. Dr. Brown is attempting to manage my high blood pressure so that I don't have a stroke before the cardiovascular surgeon (Dr. Allen) can get the insurance company to approve him removing the clots from my carotids and before my high blood pressure completely fries my kidneys (treated by Dr. Rothstein). They are good doctors, I like them all, but there sure are a lot of them and there sure is a lot of medicine.

I have finally caught on that I should never darken the door of any one of their offices without having in my hot sweaty hands all the labs all the others completed, a complete list and dosage of all the medicines I'm on, and all my twice daily blood pressure readings, and my twice daily sugar levels.

Today, the bottom line was my blood pressure is still much too high which puts my kidneys in further danger of simply quitting and puts me at greater risk of a stroke sooner than later. Additionally, my sugar level is out of whack (big time). I've been keeping a record of every bite of food that enters my mouth so I not only had the readings to show him, but the food diary. He increased my Glipizide and added a small does of long acting insulin to my before bed routine. So, we'll see if this helps.

When you have these problems, there are only two options. First, you can give up and die. It's not quick or painless. And, they usually cut your feet off before you die. Right now, my feet are good. The other option, is to keep trying: 1) do the food diary every day, measure and weigh all food; 2) stick your finger no less than twice a day/record the data and fax it to the doctor; 3) take your blood pressure no less than twice a day/record the data and fax it to the doctor. You just keep on trying and keep on keeping on. Rather, than willingly giving in and sacrificing your feet, your kidneys, your brain to a stroke--the second option seems the best of nothing but bad choices. It's not fun.

No comments: