Wednesday, May 12, 2010

PASSWORDS: I hate passwords!!!

The email program on my computer is demanding a username and a password before it will permit me to use my email. It does this every now and again throughout the year. I don't know why it does this. I don't even understand why I have to have a password to my email program given that my computer is in my house and the only people with access to it is Eric and me. And, Eric is the Administrator because I don't know anything about computers except how to type on them.

So, he set the password. And, he is very security conscious and trying to do what he thinks is best. The problem is I think he has some germanic blood in him and he always insists on making everything too perfect and too complicated. So, the password is so complicated that even with it typed out on a piece of paper and hidden away so I can at least "remember" it with prompts, I can't get it typed in correctly even with it typed on a piece of paper in front of me. I've been trying to gain access to my email since 7 AM and it is now 9:22. I depend on email to do my job. That's the way my bosses and colleagues contact me, give me directions, communicate with me.

Of course, I want the password changed to something I can work. Better yet, I'd like to be rid of the password. It keeps no one out of my computer except me. And, my inability to use the password he set up hurts his feelings, because he thinks he did the very best job possible. My desire to change it or better yet completely get rid of it upsets him.

All I want is for my computer to work and for me to be able to have immediate access to its function. When I can't have access to my email, I cannot do my job.

No comments: