Saturday, July 3, 2010

I HURT ALL OVER

I started the day mopping the last of the grout haze off that huge kitchen and dining room floor.

Then, I started the process of complete reorganization of the kitchen or maybe it's organization for the first time. If I remember correctly there are 21 cabinets and 29 drawers now. I am not finished yet. I have not even started on the drawers. But, I have made major headway on the cabinets.

We now have a baking center, a beverage center, a knife center, several cabinets dedicated to storage of staple dry goods, an "everyday" dishes center near the dishwasher and sink, a savory center, a cabinet dedicated to the hated plastic storageware that used to fall out on me every time I opened the door, and a center for the fancy dinnerware that we rarely use.

I have discarded many things. We had packed up two boxes of Eric's mother's good crystal to give to younger people in the family. I discovered another entire cabinet of it that we missed. His parents had lots of really nice crystal. We had quite a substantial collection of lids for pans. I took every pan out of their cupboard and down from their pot rack and matched a lid to them specifically. All the other lids are discarded. I believe we have 15 or 16 really nice pieces of cookware. I discarded the cookware that was not so nice. But, we had about 30 lids. I figure even if we are cooking in every single piece of the cookware at the same time, there is no way any pot needs more than one lid. We had quite a collection of mugs. I kept the ones we actually use and disposed of all the rest.

Tomorrow, I'm starting on drawers. I believe we have at least 3 sets of flatware.

Fortunately, Eric has spent the day with his brother in Columbia.

No comments: