Tuesday, July 6, 2010

QUINCY


I'm headed for Quincy. I need to evaluate an inmate tomorrow morning. I'll be back home late tomorrow afternoon.

It's a nice drive to Quincy (through Hannibal, MO) except for that horribly treacherous bridge across the Mississippi from the Missouri side to the Illinois side. Coming back, Illinois has a big, wide, new bridge with high sides. Missouri's bridge is narrow, low and does not have any sides. Scares me to death. Once there, the hotel is small and quite charming. I've stayed there many times in the last four years since I began this job. The coat hooks in the rooms are heavy, metal Fleur de Lis. Somehow, just that tiny touch raises the standard to a low key elegance. They also have this little old lady (in her 80's) that cooks a really lovely country breakfast. The hotel is small, quiet, the staff is intrinsically respectful of guest's privacy, and the service is excellent.

No comments: