Sunday, September 7, 2008

FEELING LIKE A SQUIRREL

I'll be gone most of the week.

Headed way up north today for a trial tomorrow. Return tomorrow evening quite late. Tuesday, I get up very early to take dogs to VET for rabies shots, do court prep for a trial on Tbhursday and let the garage door fixer people in---the garage door won't open. A huge spring broke. Wednesday, I have the sonogram on the arteries in my neck. Thursday, I have another trial.

Thankfully, the parole board relented and changed their minds about letting a guy out of prison who was serving 300 years (this time) for murder and raping a young woman after she was dead. Finally, they listened to reason that this man was not a first time offender, but had been convicted of murder in four other states, a couple of kidnappings, a least one other rape, and a multitude of less heinous crimes. So, at least I don't have to meet with him in a room alone and evaluate him. Until a multitude of objections were registered, they were actually going to let him out.

Yesterday, the tiller man came and installed the drainage pipe I wanted installed. I wanted it to drain water away from the front of the house and towards a tree. He suggested that the addition of about a ton of dirt graded so that it slopes away front the house would also be helpful. So Tuesday, I also need to make arrangements for a ton of dirt to be delivered. Once delivered, I'll need to spread it so that it has the correct grade.

The Rose of Sharons I planted a little over a week ago are blooming to beat the band. The new fence provides a wonderful backdrop for their delicate blossoms. So far the dogs have sniffed them, but carefully avoided stepping on anything. Yesterday, I bought a 100 each of daffodils and mixed tulips and will need to get them planted within the week.

Early next week, I'm contacting the furnace man to have to furnace replaced before winter. It's Eric's birthday present--not very romantic or sentimental--but he is a major problem in terms of birthday and Christmas presents. This present will, at least, save him from spending a couple of grand. Yesterday, talked him into going and getting the materials to replace the weatherstripping and the "sweep" on the French doors. Hopefully, that will be completed this next week.

I'm beginning to feel like a squirrel preparing for the long winter and early spring.

No comments: