Thursday, June 26, 2008

EPHRAM

I finally broke down and called my son this morning. I've been trying to give him some space. He can't even get time to listen to his voice mails because there are so many of them. But, I didn't call yesterday and I wanted to know how Cassie is today.

While talking, Ephram crawled completely up on the kitchen counter to get something he wanted. Dean fussed at him. I had to remind Dean that when he was a little boy, he repeatedly crawled up on the kitchen counters and stole every single Ding Dong from the very top shelf of the cupboards. He then blamed the transgression on the dog.

The kids had bacon, eggs, strawberries and watermelon for breakfast. Historically, Ephram loves bacon and will not touch eggs. When he was an infant he ate eggs, but as a toddler he has firmly refused eggs. But, this morning it was all about the eggs. Turns out, Dean made a cake last night and Ephram had his first experience of cracking the eggs and adding them to the big stand mixer that his parents got for a wedding present. His interest in eggs was limited to the eggs that went into the cake, not in the eggs on his plate. His dietary preferences concern me a little--bacon and cake. But, at least his father prepares him proper food. In spite of his dietary choices, Ephram is not a little pork chop. Gideon tends to be a bit of a pork chop. Poor little Gideon was born hungry and his father says that if you put a steak in front of that 11 month old, he'll manage to eat it. He has four teeth and 2 more coming in.

Dean told me that he spoke with his father for an hour last night or nearly an hour. He said it was a good talk. I can think of nothing that has ever mattered more to me. They can't resolve the problem unless they start talking to each other. Their estrangement provided the perfect environment for stubborness to grow, feelings to harden and pride to take over. My heart has been broken and my soul suffered as a result of their estrangement. I pray to God that they will move towards softening, love and forgiveness. Dean came away from the conversation believing his father might be willing to come visit him. He sure is hoping. I would be more delighted than you can imagine. His father has never met Gideon. Ephram and Gideon need to know their grandfather. In fact, they need to go swimming with him.

With infinite wisdom, Colin Powell was able to recognize the destructive power of pride taking over, positions hardening, and people getting stubborn. So much wisdom in the old Secretary of State!

No comments: