Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Finally Done

Finally that report is done! Everything has been emailed and faxed to Catherine. Have discussed the case with the AG. Now we just wait and see if the AG or States Attorney decides to file on him. If so, we'll deal with the PC Hearing within 72 hours after they file. Thankfully, the county of commitment is close by so I won't have to make a long trip.

I worked really hard on the report. Interviewed for hours on New Years Eve, drove four hours total to get to the prison and get home, and in spite of the best of intentions fell asleep on the couch. I was exhausted and emotionally drained. During the interview, I knew it was a really bad case and my own ethics and integrity were going to require me to recommend that we refer. Got the staffing written early on New Years Day, staffed it. Bosses agreed with me. So, I started writing the report. Wrote straight through until 12:30 this morning and then fell into bed. Got up at 4:00 and wrote until noon. Good report I think. Faxed all the forms to Catherine and emailed her the report. I proofed it and spell checked it, but I had a little trouble with the format. There were so many diagnoses to deal with and such a long history of offending to explain.
Thankfully, Catherine has a magic wand and is able to change even my formatting errors to perfection. I don't want to consider life without her.

It was just a really tough report and when they are as complex as this case, you have to get the writing in a tightly organized format while still explaining so that non-psychologists can understand the content you are trying to explain.

It will be easier to explain on the witness stand than it was in writing. Anyway, at least this one is done and I can get a few breaths. I've got another one evaluated that I think is going to require referral, but I have a day or two or three to work on that one. And, I have three more pending cases that have not been evaluated yet. I've got the pending PC and the big trial coming up.

Besides being intellectually challenging, hard, honorable work there's never any shortage of this work. I don't have a problem with idle hands! I dearly love this job. I don't have a problem with ever getting bored. There's always something that needs to be done.

No comments: