Thursday, January 10, 2008

On the Stand

Tuesday, I drove 6 hours north and then met with two Assistant Attorney Generals for nearly 4 hours. Wednesday, I was on the stand for 4 hours. Well, the Judge did call for an 8 minute break. I suspect he had to use the bathroom. I did. Then, I drove 6 hours home.

Don't know the outcome. The defense expert was testifying today. When the Judge makes the decision someone will let me know his decision I believe. It was a bench trial so this entire mess falls into that poor judges' lap. God bless the poor man! I did my best and at least it should be over one way or the other. Well, unless he is not committed and he re-offends. There is no doubt in my mind that if he is not committed, he'll re-offend. If he re-offends, I'll probably have to do it all over again. The overwhelming bright spot is now I can get those two huge legal document boxes out of my office. Maybe I'll be able to walk around in the office.

Got a nice note from the assistant attorney general this morning. She said that I did great in court, that I really knew the case inside and out, and my knowledge of the case showed in court. Her compliment was especially appreciated as she is a woman who rarely gives anybody a compliment. I must admit that as I was leaving court I felt calm, peaceful, competent, and not at all frustrated or flustered. As I was walking back to my car, I realized how much the training I took in November with Dr. Stanley Brodsky had helped. He focused on teaching us how to stay calm and "to take your power back" even in the face of brutal assaults from the defense attorney. As I was sitting in class, I didn't think I was learning that much. But, yesterday the peace and calm I felt--even when under nasty verbal assault--told me that the training had helped enormously. I need to email Dr. Brodsky and tell him.

I've got another Probable Cause hearing on January 29th and a big trial on February 5th. Once that February 5th trial is over I can get another huge legal document box out of my office. Getting the boxes of police reports, old treatment records, evidence, etc. out of my office is always a big plus. I've also got an evaluation case I'm working on that I believe is going to require referral. And, I have three more cases waiting to be evaluated.

Mainly, I'm feeling really peaceful with my work yesterday and how it comes out is how it comes out. We do the best work we can and then let it go!

No comments: